Welcome to Learn Serology
LearnSerology consists of six sequential teaching modules and a selection of interactive antibody investigation panels, and is intended to serve as an educational resource for post-graduate medical trainees in clinical hematology. The goal of this course is to provide an introduction to immunohematology and the foundations of blood bank compatibility testing. Individuals completing this course should be able to:
- Describe the principles of RBC agglutination.
- Interpret the results of an ABO/RhD grouping test.
- Perform a simple antibody investigation.
- Outline an approach to selecting RBC units for patients with auto-antibodies and other complex transfusion needs.
Module 1 - Basics of Immunohematology
Module 2 - Group and Screen and Crossmatch
Module 3 - Minor Blood Group Antigens
Module 4 - Approach to Antibody Investigations
Module 5 - Approach to Autoantibody Investigations
- Warm-Reactive Autoantibodies
- Cold-Reactive Autoantibodies
Module 6 - Miscellaneous Topics
- Transfusing special populations
- Investigating transfusion reactions
Interactive antibody panels
Comments: Please click here to send us your feedback on this learning resource.
This project received funding support from the Canadian Blood Services BloodTechNet Award Program, funded by the federal government (Health Canada) and the provincial and territorial ministries of health. The views herein do not necessarily reflect the views of Canadian Blood Services or the federal, provincial, or territorial governments of Canada.